How do I become a Christian?
A Christian is someone who trusts in Jesus Christ. For us to do that we have to be convinced that certain things are true.
- Firstly recognise the reality of a living God, who has created us, and who we are answerable to. From the bible we learn of God’s purity and perfection, and our own impurity and sin. We are heading towards a certain guilty verdict on the day of judgement.
- Secondly we must then acknowledge that there is nothing we can do to make ourselves innocent, instead of guilty. We cannot meet God’s required standard of perfection whatever we do.
This is why the bible describes our condition as lost and dead towards God. Once we recognise there is nothing we can do to make ourselves alive to God, we ask “is there anyone else who can help us.” God has provided Jesus Christ to be the only one to make us alive to God. He is the one who seeks us out, and is our Saviour.
Jesus became the savior of the world by living a perfect life, and then dying on a cross to pay the price for sin. By rising from the dead, he provided the evidence that all he claimed to be and do was true.
To become a Christian is to: -
- Recognise Jesus Christ for who he really is. The one authentic Saviour for those who are dead towards God and lost.
- Admit our sin; the corruptness and inability to meet God’s standards
- Confess our sin; tell God in prayer our sin and ask for his forgiveness.
- Repent of your sin. Ask God to enable you to turn away from sin.
- Turn from sin to faith in Jesus Christ. Believe in him.
- Trust him, that his death was punishment for our sin; his resurrection, proof that his sacrifice on our behalf is accepted by God.
Jesus becomes my Saviour and my Lord. In response to his love for us, we now love him and become his modern day disciples.
Have you turned to Christ or desire to? Contact us.